One Summer of Broadway-style musicals. One summer of pure fun.
Since 1992, Bakersfield Music Theatre has provided quality musical theatre training to students ages 6 to 18. Summer workshop builds core skills that will advance students in the entertainment industry and beyond.
Due to COVID-19, previously announced workshops of "Moana Jr." and "Fame! The Musical Jr." have been cancelled. This summer, we are happy to announce BMT/Stars' first virtual summer workshop, "The Big One-Oh! Online Edition" beginning June 22, 2020.
What to Expect
- Students receive singing, dancing, and acting training - for beginners to pros! Every student will be challenged and take away valuable performing, public speaking, and social skills.
- Students have the unique opportunity of performing in Stars' first "virtual musical" via Zoom.
- Every role is a starring role! Directors focus on ensemble building and making sure every student has a chance to shine.
- BMT Workshop's exceptional staff consists of professionals in education and the performing arts.
- Enrollment includes 4 weeks of training (M-F), digital script, digital vocal tracks, costumes, props, cast t-shirt, cast photo, and performance DVD.
The Big One-Oh! Online Edition
Workshop Begins June 22, 2020
Workshop meets Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - Noon
For young performers ages 9-17
Early bird enrollment fee $125 | Regular enrollment fee $150
Once enrolled, the director will email instructions on how to join the online rehearsal room.
Music by Doug Besterman
Lyrics by Dean Pitchford
Book by Timothy Allen McDonald
Based on the novel "The Big One-Oh" by Dean Pitchford
Directed by Kenneth Whitchard
We may not be back in the rehearsal room or on the stage quite yet, but we are able to enjoy the magic of musical theatre with "The Big One-Oh! Online Edition." This 20-minute musical based on the beloved children's novel and hit TYA musical is specifically designed to be rehearsed, produced, and performed remotely on the internet.
About the Show
Charley Maplewood has never been one for parties – that would require friends, which he doesn’t have. Well, unless you count his monster friends, but they’re only imaginary. But now that he’s turning ten (the big one-oh), he decides to throw a birthday party for himself, complete with a “House of Horrors” theme. Of course, things don’t work out as he plans. Will Charley be able to pull it together before the big one-oh... becomes the big OH-NO!?
Based on the beloved book, "The Big One-Oh! Online Version" features lyrics by Academy Award-winner Dean Pitchford (author of the novel, "Footloose"), music by the acclaimed Tony-nominated Doug Besterman ("Elf," "Young Frankenstein"), and a book by iTheatric's award-winning playwright Timothy Allen McDonald (Roald Dahl's "Willy Wonka," "James and the Giant Peach").CLICK HERE TO ENROLL
To enroll over the phone, please call the Stars box office at (661) 325-6100 M-F 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. You can also leave a message after-hours and the box office attendant will call you back as soon as possible.
Stars School Online
Follow Stars School of the Performing Arts on Facebook! #bmtstars